(A Preparation for Revival)
Acts 24:16 KJV
Act 24:16 And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men.
Revival is coming to Independent Bible Baptist Church, with 4 nights of preaching from some pastors our congregation knows and loves as their own. Pastor Fryer (pastor of IBBC) put together a 2 page preparation sheet for IBBC to look over, ponder, and answer honestly between themselves and God. I think this is a very good list to think about, whether Revival is in the upcoming days or not. What follows is something that may well step on toes, pierce your heart, and make you uncomfortable. It has had that effect on me as well.
Note: all bible references are KJV, from the e-Sword program
Ask yourself these questions and answer them honestly… (Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.)
1. Is there an area where you have failed to put God first?
2. Have your decisions been made after your own wisdom and desires, rather than seeking and following God’s will?
3. Do any of the following in any way interfere with your surrender and service to God: ambition, pleasure, loved ones, friendships, desire for recognition, money, your own plans?
II Corinthians 9:6-7 But this I say,He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. (7) Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
1. Have you robbed God by withholding His tithe?
2. Have you robbed God by withholding His due of your time and talents?
3. Have you failed to support mission work through either prayer or offerings?
I Corinthians 4:2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
- Can you be trusted with responsibilities in the Lord’s work?
- Are you dependable?
- Are you allowing your emotions to be stirred for the things of God but doing nothing about it?
Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
- Do you miss church or avoid gospel preaching?
- Do you allow your mind to wander during preaching?
- Have you neglected or slighted daily, private prayer or the reading of God’s Word?
- Do you find the Bible or prayer uninteresting?
- Have you neglected to give thanks for your meals?
- Have you neglected family devotions?
Ephesians 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
- Do you thank God for all things? Do you thank Him for the good as well as what you perceive to be the bad?
- Do you call God a liar by doubting His Word?
- Do you worry?
- Is your spiritual temperance based on your feelings instead of God’s Word?
Ephesians 4:31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
- Do you complain?
- Do you find fault or have a critical attitude toward any person or thing?
- Are you irritable or cranky?
- Do you ever carry hidden anger?
- Do you get angry?
- Are you impatient with others?
- Are you ever harsh or unkind?
Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
- Have you neglected to seek to be pleasing to Him in all things?
- Do you carry bitterness toward God?
- Have you complained against God in any way?
- Have you been dissatisfied with God’s provision for you?
- Are you unwilling to obey God fully—are there some things that you would not be willing to do if God asked?
- Have you disobeyed some direct leading from God?
II Corinthians 3:5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
- Are you self conscious rather than Christ conscious?
- Do you allow feelings of inferiority to keep you from attempting things you should be doing to serve God?
Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
- Are you secretly pleased over the misfortune of others?
- Are you secretly annoyed over the accomplishments or advancements of another?
- Are you guilty of contention or strife?
- Do you quarrel, argue, or engage in heated discussions?
- Are you a partaker in divisions?
- Are there people who you deliberately slight?
Matthew 6:14, For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
Mat 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
- Are you holding a grudge against anyone?
- Is there anyone you have not forgiven?
- Are there any misunderstandings you are unwilling to forget?
- Do you harbor hatred, bitterness, resentment or jealousy against anyone?
- Do you ever seek to hurt anyone by word or deed?
As you answer these, you may feel the sting. I know I sure have!